To: William Gillespie
From: Scott Rettberg
Date: September 26, 1994
Story: Love Letters in a Post-Punk Conundrum
Bill (may I call you BillI dont know your monickerWilliam?)Wow!
I dont quite know how to respond to thisdont get me wrongIm sure
Ill babble in class. Definitely not conventionalso the conventional
apparatus(es?) of criticism D/N/A. Lovely non-sequiturs (most of themsome
of them are just confusing perhaps not rich). Ill just write here what
I am thinking as I reread the experience in no particular orderI love
the concept in general. Calls to mind in a theoretical framework LyotardDriftworks.
- First page Jeani Jeani ad infinitum. Houndstooth palindrome caps
pass me the valium, Irma, may ratchets are all mixed up again. What?
Lovely. You plural? Huh. But aha, the retreat to the conventional
metaphor. In the last 5 sentences from wild radish to Dickinson
(Emily) and a host of others breezes in my sail. The wind beneath my
- Xavier: Begin to think, ah yes, an illegal orgy story. Maybe dinner
did it. Nonmonogamycool concept. Less metaphoricmore logical.
Discernably different voice? Im not sure (this is probably important)
but at least somewhat so.
- Celiba: Lamest name so far though pretty-sounding. Prefer dialogue?
Perhaps monologue. Again different voicegood. But enough? More
systemic, theory driven. Ah, but we slip into the Williamesque
metaphor freckles bounce from sheets. Starting to look for the straight
man, the still point in the whirlpool. I think we need one.
- Ahoy there: Straighter. Un autre theorist. Deluze? Math?
Renaissance? Ahayou do want to be the Renaissance man. Can you
play cello while scratching quantum physical equations in the wood
while writing a sonnet to your mother explaining why you havent
called in iambic pentameter?Gravity is a
tremendous metaphor for desire, you bastard.
- Dear Jeani: Eco-metonomy. The trial? The Trial? Joseph K.?
- Hey Aegie: People like us? Pirates of what sort?
- Xavier: Is Jeani Aegiare they both in jail? Plot doesnt matter but it
- They dont like text: ahaMetafucktion
- Pirate: Strangness, exile, solemnity, letters
- So Aegis: Genet again. Ahait all becomes clear. Great ride: text,
emptiness, non-ness, human interaction, futility, play, Substance?